Tuesday, September 3, 2013

A Kaptivating Thriller and my Interview with Author Carlie Sexton



I recently had the pleasure to sit and chat with romantic thriller author, Carlie Sexton. Her books Fallen For you, Taken by You and the soon to be released Given to You are gathering up a great following. Seriously who doesn't love a good and creepy, obsessed stalker who happens to be a serial killer and who happens to live next door? Then throw in a few hot men pining for your affection with a little bit of heartache, some angst and some chills. Did I mention that there were some steamy hot scenes? CRAZY good! 
Carlie is a hoot and so sweet. Talking to her is like talking to an old friend. I was so honored that she agreed to do an interview with me. Read below to see what Carlie had to say......


  Carlie! Thank you so much. I am having so much fun with the blog. Thank you again for taking the time out of your busy schedule to answer my questions! 

KKR: Have you always wanted to be a writer?
   CS: I have, throughout the years, thought it would be amazing to write a book, but never in my wildest dreams did I think that I would. Now, I have written 3 books, with at least 3 more planned.

      KKR:Who are your favorite authors?
   CS: Raine Miller, Nicholas Sparks, Catherine Bybee, Nora Roberts


     KKR: Do you write your stories based events that have happened in your life?
   CS: This first series, The Killer Next Door, is based on some events that happened to me when I was in college (a lifetime ago). However, much of the books are fiction. Especially book 3.

      KKR:What is your typical writing environment? (Do you have a special room, music, muses?) 
   CS: My husband created a writing room for me. It is one of our spare bedrooms. I have a chocolate brown colored chaise lounge chair, inspirational sayings on the walls,  and a cabinet for my books and swag.

      KKR:How do you come up with your stories? 
   CS: The first 3 were based on real life events. I am spinning off characters such as Natalie and Mac into their own story. They just seem to come to me.

     KKR:What character do you find yourself relating to the most? 
   CS: Kate, since she is based on me. 

 KKR: Do you have any interest in writing a story for a different genre? 
CS:Not at this time.


       KKR:If you could, what character would you like to hang out with for the day? 
CS: I would love to hang out with Neil because I think he is so damn hot~ but I’m a married woman, so I’d have to say Charlie. She’s a true friend to Kate and I really love her for that.

   KKR:Is your family supportive and have they read your books?
CS: My husband has read Fallen for You and is currently reading Taken by You. He is very supportive.

   KKR:What inspired you to write/become a writer? 
 CS: I worked with a man whose wife is an author. When I found out, I of course purchased her books and read them. Actually knowing someone who was doing it inspired me. Then I realized I already had an interesting story from my own life that I could tell. 





 
    My 4 Star Review for Fallen For you

   "He wanted to be calm when he found Kate. He had to convince her that they belonged together. He had to make her listen. I will find her no matter what it takes!

After suffering from a tragic loss that sends her world crashing down, Kate Simmons is trying to let go of the guilt and taking the first step in moving on with her life. Escaping from the strained relationship she has with her mother Kate and her best friend Charlie Andrews get an apartment together. Kate re-enrolls at San Diego State University to finish getting her degree. After taking some time off she is ready to get her life back and move on.

With her best friend Charlie at her side and still loving her job at Nordstrom. Kate is ready to become an independent woman. What she wasn’t expecting was attracting the attention of three separate men. The choices Mark, the handsome college student who seems to be the ladies man, a womanizer; Roger, the very nice and decent looking apartment manager and her new neighbor and finally Neil, the gorgeous, determined and successful lawyer. What Kate doesn’t realize is just how dangerous one of those men really is and that her choices could mean life and death.

She saw that Roger’s door was open. He came to the threshold to talk to her, all smiles as usual.

Hey, Kate! Would you like to come in for a cup of coffee? I’m currently brewing a fresh pot,” He asked enthusiastically.

“I would love to, but it’s the first day of school and I want to get to class early to get a good seat. Plus, I heard that parking at SDSU is a nightmare. Can I take a rain check?”

“Sure. Some other time,” he said, sounding more than a little deflated.

“How about after I’m done with my classes” My second class ends about ten. I should be home by ten-thirty.”

“That would be great! I’ll be waiting. Do you like anything special in your coffee?” “Well, I’m a fan of hazelnut, but I don’t want you to go to any trouble. I am a coffee fiend so really anything will be great,” she said.

“Well, it’s a date then,” he said, a glimmer in his eyes. “See you later.” “See you then, Roger.”


As Kate adjusts to being a student again. She finds herself attracted to a fellow student Mark Baxter but keeps her distance. He constantly surrounded by women.  It has been awhile since she has had these feelings but her gut is telling her that there is something more to him, he maybe gorgeous but he is definitely a player.  Trying to fight her attraction to him and after talking with him, she agrees and gives him her number. Still unsure if he is being honest or just being a guy.

“I don’t want any of the other girls on campus,” he said, a frown on his gorgeous face. A face with chiseled fine features and big green eyes that had already seared their way into her heart. Then his face relaxed. “I want the beautiful, intelligent woman standing here before me now. It’s not only your beauty that I find intriguing, but your intelligence is extremely sexy to me as well. Every time you talk in class, I am mesmerized by what you are saying. I want to know everything about you. I want to figure out what makes you tick. I want hours to go by with you and have it seem like minutes. I want to make you feel things that you have never felt before.”

What Kate wasn’t expecting was the persistance and persuasiveness of Neil Statton. Neil is everything she would want in a man he is gorgeous, successful, sexyl and determined. He has been nothing but a gentleman with her. He is so intense and the attraction she feels towards him scares her more than anything. How can she be this attracted to two completely opposite men? Coming to terms that she isn’t tied down to anyone she agrees to go on a date with Neil a date that will change her life in more ways than one.

“I know I said I would be a perfect gentleman. But the truth of the matter is you make me absolutely wild.” His breathing was heavy. “I want you so badly. I want to be your man.” “You are so beautiful. I want to make love to you. Please let me,” he pleaded. “I want you so much. I just can’t wait.”

Roger Wilkins. I love how Roger appears to be this normal guy. In the beginning I was like - ok his military training has him more in-tune with things and with people, but then hearing his thoughts about Kate after only having a phone conversation with her. That is when I realized that there is a little more to Roger than I thought. He is that character you love to hate. He is good looking but creepy- gets too involved, asks weird questions, makes you uncomfortable. I was intrigued yet mortified and shocked at some of his actions. The man absolutely has no remorse. WHOA! He is a creeptasticly fubard character. Brilliantly written.  Kate is friendly with him but also uncomfortable around him she can’t explain it but she remains friendly with him. He is her neighbor after all and has been nothing but nice to her.

Then you have Mark. He is this gorgeous college guy who is genuinely interested in Kate. He is swoon worthy for sure. Kate knows guys like him, the player. He does his best to prove to Kate that she is wrong about him. Kate wants to give him a chance but is reluctant. When Kate over hears gossip from another classmate she realizes her gut was right.

Last but not least is Neil Statton. A widowed, gorgeous, young lawyer. The moment he saw Kate he knew he had to have her and used to getting what he wants he does everything he can to get her. He is smart, sexy and very determined. Their attraction for each other is off the freaking charts! With their common bond of suffering a loss, they can easily relate to each other. This man will melt your panties right off of you. *fans self-off* You can’t help but fall in love with him.

Kate is so out of the dating loop and so distraught from her past that she has no idea what to do. She see’s that Roger has shown some interest. He is nice but he also has a girlfriend. Her two toughest decisions are between Mark and Neil. She is really torn up about it until she discovers the truth about one of them. What’s a girl to do? The one thing she doesn’t do is string them along.

When Kate finally makes her choice, you are left with two very unhappy men. One of them will do everything he can to make what he thinks is his competition disappear for good.

When one of the men start acting strange, facts start to surface and Kate realizes her life is in danger as are those around her. When Kate and Charlie suddenly move out, one man will do everything to get her back and won’t give up until she is his.

Carlie Sexton has the perfect formula in this book... mystery, suspense, the shock factor, romance, loss, steamy sex, humor, heartache, love... This book had me pulled in from chapter one. The character are fantastic!

This book leaves you hanging and I am so looking forward to seeing what happens in book #2.

A job well done by Carlie Sexton! Bravo!








    My 4 Star Review for Taken By You



“I’ll find you soon, my love....... Very soon.”



Roger returns from his trip to Germany to find Kate gone and her apartment completely empty. Confused, hurt and angry, Roger is on a mission to find Kate.  Stopping by a bar to think, he meets another women by the name of Rose and he is happy for she is someone to bide his time until he is able to locate Kate.


Kate is happily living with Neil. Feeling better about being away from Roger, she tries to continue on with her life. When she gets some unexpected news in regards to her father, finds out that Neil has been keeping a secret and is forced to quit her job, Kate feels as if her life is out of control. She is sad, hurt, confused and scared.


“You, my beauty are the calm in my storm. You bring peace to my everyday life and I so desperately need that. You and I complete each other. We don’t have to compete to have our needs met.”


When Roger reappears in Kate’s life with his family in tow, and the news that Kate’s school mate Mark’s body was found, Kate is freaked out again. Neil hires a security team to protect her. Again, Kate continues to move on with her life with Neil.


“Baby, it’s going to be okay. I’ll call Paul and get some men assigned to me if that will make you feel better. I’m not going to let anything hurt us. I love you so much and will do whatever it takes for you to feel safe again.”


Neil being the awesome boyfriend plans a fantastic day for Kate. Regardless of the security measure, Roger is on a mission. Using all means necessary to get what he wants, he will remove whomever gets in his way to have her. When she least excepts it, Roger strikes and Kate finds herself completely helpless.



Book #2 in this series definitely didn’t disappoint.  I loved getting to know more about Neil and his past and exactly what is was about Kate that completely enamored him.


Kate, her life is literally in shambles. She learns of Neil’s late wife. She learns the truth about her father  and some truth that changes the dynamics of her relationship with her mother. It also bring her and her brother closer together. She is forced to grow up a lot. Roger is on her tail and relentless. Kate only knows safety and love when she is in Neil’s arms, other than that she feels so alone and scared.


We also got to know more about Natalie and her difficult past as well as Mac. I LOVED the sparks between them. They have a ton in common and my heart just melted with Mac and how he helped Natalie.


Again, this story has it all suspense, romance and angst. 


Carlie Sexton has created a charming serial killer that keeps you on edge with the decisions he makes, most of them leave your jaw dropped open.


Be prepared for a major cliffhanger!  I cannot wait to see what happens next.

A freaking fantastic job!!




   
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment